Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fiddler on the Roof

Last night we (my family and class) got to see the play Fiddler on the Roof! It was incredible! When we went to an Irish play for class a few weeks ago, we saw signs that this would be playing. But we forgot all about it until this week, when we realized it was having its last few performances here! So we quickly went online and got tickets! Since my family was here and the LOVE that movie, they were also super excited to see it! The tickets we bought were on the third floor in the balcony seats. (Since about 20 people went, we bought our tickets in three sets. My family paid for our separately from the rest of the group, but got seats near them). Since the theater is small, they're really not that bad of seats, so our entire group decided it was better to not spend to much on tickets.
So all of yesterday, our "class" was visiting churches around Dublin and going on a tour of Dublin castle. Then in the afternoon we had a couple hours off before the play. My family was good sports and tagged along for all of it. About a half hour before the play was supposed to start we headed to the theater. My dad had picked up our tickets earlier in the day so we walked right up to the door. But the lady stopped us. "Oh, I'm sorry. You'll need to go back to the ticket office. Your tickets have been upgraded." Sorry? Don't be sorry! This is great! Maybe we'll get to sit on the second floor! So we walked back to the ticket office where we were handed an envelope with our name on it. I couldn't tell where our new seats were located based off the tickets but it seemed they were at least a couple rows closer. So we walked in and were directed to the main level about 15 rows back! We were all shocked! I actually walked back out and checked the signs to make sure we were in the right spot. It was such a blessing! We never did figure out why, but my family got to enjoy an amazing play in amazing seats!
The play itself was absolutely fantastic! I was completely blown away! The cast was actually rather large and all the actors were phenomenal. I think I actually like the play version better. I found myself way more  attached to the characters. The one scene where Hodel leaves home to go to Siberia where the man she loves is in prison was really touching. In the movie that part seemed sad, but for me, at the play it was far more heart wrenching. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that I was sitting next to my dad who I was about to say good-bye to for another four months...? Probably.
But anyway, the whole thing was really grand! I'm so glad my family got to experience the play with me! It was definitely one of those "once in a lifetime" moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment