Monday, May 16, 2011

A Day in My Life

Before I get too far into this job, I thought I would give you a run down on daily life around here.... Well at least normal for me. That way when I refer to different things throughout the summer you have some reference point.
6:00am- Alarm goes off, role out of bed go for a run, come back get ready for the day and eat breakfast
8:00am- Show up for our morning meeting. We have a time of worship, prayer, and Bible Study (Usually lasts and hour to an hour and a half), then we go through everyone's basic assignments for the day
10:00ish am- The day starts. Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday I start cleaning something in the house. I have it divided into different zones so each day is something different.
12:30pm- Lunch with the families. We eat lunch with the Kurdish families in their living space upstairs. The food they cook is amazing.
1:30pm- Back to cleaning, but if I've finished I get to help out with the kids activities. This could include going to the park, playing games, coloring, or braiding the little girls hair. Basically whatever we want!
6:00pm- Dinner downstairs with all (14ish people depending on the day) the staff members.
7:00pm- Clean up dinner, blog about the day, finish any other work and then just hang out.
The only exception to this is Tuesday and Friday when I go to the hospital to visit the patients from Gaza. We bring the mothers and kids lunch, help them through their check-ups, and I record everything so I can blog about it on the Shevet website.

So yeah... that's pretty much it. I know this is kind of a boring basic blog, but I realized that a lot of what I'll be referencing this summer might not make sense if you don't understand what I do here....
I also wanted to share this devo with you. We get a daily memo with our instructions for the day as well as a devo. I really liked this one.... I hope this job teaches me the same kind of humility.

*Washing Toilets
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2 by Os Hillman*
Sunday, May 15 2011

*..."those he wanted to promote, he promoted; and those he wanted to humble,
he humbled'* (Dan 5:19).

Paul desired a career in the building industry. Early in his career, he was
working with a large ministry to help direct several of their construction
projects.

As the projects were completed, Paul was asked to stay on for future
projects. To keep him busy he was given a number of jobs - one of which was
cleaning toilets. He recalls getting down on his knees each day and
complaining to the Lord, "Lord, I'm a college graduate!"

Discouraged, Paul told the Lord, "I will not leave here until You promote
me. Please give me contentment with my circumstance."

Paul felt totally forgotten by God. A few months later, Paul received a
phone call from a man in the Midwest who owned five successful businesses
who wanted to interview Paul for a job. This came as a total surprise to
Paul. As he drove to the interview, he told the Lord, "I only want your will
in my life, nothing else. I am content to remain obscure for the rest of my
life if I have You. You must override my lack of experience for me to get
this job."

The owner of the company asked Paul a surprising question: "If I asked you
to clean a toilet, what would you do?" Paul sat there, stunned. He wanted to
burst out laughing. Paul assured him that he would simply pick up a sponge
and start cleaning.

Amazingly, Paul was hired even though other candidates were more qualified.
After several months of success Paul asked his boss why he hired him. His
boss replied, "Paul, I still have a large stack of applications from people
who wanted this job. Do you remember the first question I asked you in the
interview? I asked each one the same question. You were the only one who
said he would clean the toilet. Paul, I am a wealthy man, but I grew up dirt
poor. I clean my own toilets at home. I can't have people running my
businesses who are too proud to clean a toilet."

Sometimes God places us in situations to see if we will be faithful in those
before He is willing to promote us to greater things.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the devotional Nat! Also, I greatly appreciate your blog post so I can picture what you are doing! I do have one question . . . do you run by yourself? Where do you go? I guess that is two, whoops! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first day I ran with a couple other people. But I don't think they like running at 6 every morning so now I go by myself. I've found a couple streets that are easy to navigate and in well trafficked, modern parts of town.

    ReplyDelete