Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama is a sinner, and so am I

When I woke up this morning, the first thing my roommate asked is, "Have you seen the news?" Do I look like I've seen the news, I just woke up! You've been up for 30 minutes. "No. What's up?" "Osama Bin Laden is dead!" We immediately googled several different newspapers and watched a video of Obama announcing the news last night... gotta love the internet.
But the more I've thought about this today, the more mixed my emotions get. Initially, I was excited. This is a man who has killed thousands. His death should be the cause of rejoicing because it means justice is served. 
But that makes me wonder what true justice is. According to Jesus, we all have sinned and fallen short of God's standards... If we really want to talk about justice, that would mean I am worthy of death too. The only difference between me and Osama is I have chosen to accept Jesus into my life. His blood covers over my sin. (And maybe the beard. Osama had way more facial hair than me. Whew!)
But in all seriousness as an American Christian, this is a time of joy and sadness. I am sad for Osama because he is now dead and never chose to follow Jesus. As such, I do believe he is in hell. But today I also choose to rejoice. Not in his death, but in the fact that Jesus did die to cover my sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment